Let me offer a few suggestions to help you as you embark on what will hopefully be your life-long practice of recording your spiritual journey.
1. Journal at Prime Time. The best time to spend with the Lord is when you are fully alert, not tired and weary from a days work.
Morning is best for most people, but you decide what time is best for you. Choose this time to enter into the secret place.
2. Use a journal or laptop that is easily held for writing and sit in a comfortable chair with adequate light. You may even want to keep a set of colored pencils at hand for illustrations.
3. Keep your journal in chronological order. Date all entries. Once you have filled a journal, number it and purchase a new one of the same kind. No doubt you will fill many volumes over your lifetime.
4. It helps to include in your journal the things that are going on in your life at the time. Significant events or unusual circumstances can reflect our emotional and spiritual state.
5. Always record dreams the morning after you have them. Be sure to note as much detail as possible. God speaks powerfully through dreams and we need to process them in our spiritual journal. Also, if you receive a prophecy from someone include it in your journal.
6. Often the information in our journal is very private. Protect your privacy by using codes or symbols to identify issues or individuals.
7. Record scriptures that the Lord is using to speak to you during your Bible study and meditation. Include any special revelation the Holy Spirit has released regarding these passages.
8. Sometimes there are concerns and questions on our hearts. The Lord knows this. It is appropriate to ask God questions and then wait for His answers. (See Psalm 27:4)
9. Write in faith believing that what you are writing is from the Lord. Don’t impede the spontaneous flow of the Holy Spirit by subjecting it to your rational judgment. You will have plenty of time later to judge what you have written.
Dr. Dale Fife has served the Body of Christ for over 50 years as a caring pastor, insightful teacher, gifted musician, and best-selling author. His wisdom, maturity, and genuine spiritual concern for others have caused many to regard him as a "spiritual father" in the Lord. His insightful teaching has inspired and blessed thousands around the world.