On the journey of life there are many things that can knock us off course. The same is true of journaling. Distractions, deceptions, false teaching and satanic influence all come into play. The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life are constant detractors that keep us from intimacy with God and can cause us to be deceived. We need to be sure that we are hearing God’s voice and not our own or the enemies. Here are some safeguards that will help you to remain pure and avoid error and deception.
1. Beware of being prideful and arrogant. God resist the proud but gives grace to the humble. Keep a humble, teachable attitude at all times. You do not have a private line to God.
2. All personal revelation should be tested and compared to the Scriptures. The Rhema must agree with the Logos. You will make mistakes, but don’t be discouraged. It is all a part of growing in Christ.
3. Regard your Journal as being what you ‘think’ God said. In all of my books, which are actually my published journals, I always state, “I am not saying, this is the way it is. Rather, I am saying; this is the way I saw it”.
4. Be a part of a local body where you can be nurtured and serve under spiritual authority and protection. If you have concerns about your journal, the leadership can provide counsel and advice.
5. I encourage you to seek God’s guidance in identifying someone who is spiritually mature, proven and tested that can mentor you and serve as a spiritual guide. This is a safe place where your journal can be submitted and confirmed.
6. God wants us to be whole in every sense of the word. Your journal is a tool that facilitates spiritual growth and wholeness. It should never become harmful or destructive. If it does, seek the counsel of others.
7. God usually speaks to us regarding matters that relate to our sphere of influence and responsibility. He enables us to be a Godly influence and act with wisdom, grace and love on His behalf in our context and environment. We are to serve Him in society. Intimacy with God is the launching pad for serving our fellow
Dr. Dale Fife has served the Body of Christ for over 50 years as a caring pastor, insightful teacher, gifted musician, and best-selling author. His wisdom, maturity, and genuine spiritual concern for others have caused many to regard him as a "spiritual father" in the Lord. His insightful teaching has inspired and blessed thousands around the world.