Dreams are a very significant way in which God speaks to us. A dream is a vision while you are sleeping. You actually watch your dreams as your eyes rapidly follow the action that is occurring in your night vision. Psychologists call this REM (Rapid Eye Movement). You are seeing what He is saying.
It is very important to place a high value upon your dreams and interpret them from a biblical perspective. While there is no set formula for dream interpretation, there are some guidelines I have discovered which can assist you in discerning the Lord’s voice in your dreams:
1. Remember Your Dreams! Respect the significance of your dreams and take time to write them down in your journal. Be sure to date the dream and identify where you were when the dream occurred. Use as much detail as possible as you describe the dream no matter how insignificant it may seem. Record colors, emotions, words, feelings, observations, objects, animals, vehicles, places, people, etc.
2. Don’t devalue your dreams! Make a quality decision that you want and need help and direction from God for your life. Believe that dreams contain a valid message. Don’t dismiss a dream because it is short.
“The dream is an invaluable counselor. We cannot pay for a better one. It is with us every night, charges no fee, and makes no demands except that we listen to it and learn to detect God’s voice in symbolic language. The dream seeks to cooperate with His great purpose: to help us realize every part of our potential and to bring us into harmony with God, the world around us and ourselves. There is no better way to get to the heart of our problems than through our dreams.” - Herman Riffel
3. Always apply the dream to yourself first! Some experts say that 95% of dreams are subjective, (they have something to say to the dreamer about themselves.) The other 5% are objective and refer to the people closely related to us and with whom we are emotionally involved. (Continued in Part Seven)
Dr. Dale Fife has served the Body of Christ for over 50 years as a caring pastor, insightful teacher, gifted musician, and best-selling author. His wisdom, maturity, and genuine spiritual concern for others have caused many to regard him as a "spiritual father" in the Lord. His insightful teaching has inspired and blessed thousands around the world.